Saturday, April 17, 2010

Google Enhances Docs

I admit I do not use Google Docs as much as I used to, only because so much of what I write is uploaded directly to a Web site, or in some cases sent as an email message. That's wasn't the case several years ago, when the primary form of document I was required to create was a "Word" document.

I still sometimes need to do a bit of modeling, create a presentation or create a document, so it isn't as if an office productivity suite does not get used, they simply get used less, as most of my daily routine involves creating Web-compatible content.

The exception seems to be that I frequently must capture a graphic or chart of some sort from a .pdf file or Web page and reformat it as a picture for insertion into a post. In that case I find myself using the presentation software simply to launder an image into a .jpg file. That wasn't why presentation suites were created, but that is how I generally will be found using a presentation program, day in and out.

But there is another point about new developments to Google Docs. Lots of people are required to create documents in a word processor, read or create spreadsheets and presentations on a regular basis. And, up to this point, with some salient exceptions, that has meant using Microsoft's "Office" suite.

Google Docs has been useful for students and some enterprises, but has not matched Office feature for feature and with equal and transparent functionality. Most of us still find the default format for any shared bit of work is "Word" for documents and "PowerPoint" for presentations and "Excel" for spreadsheets.

But any attacking company will start low and then gradually begin to enhance the utility of a competitive offering, and that is what Google is doing with Docs.

No comments:

Many Winners and Losers from Generative AI

Perhaps there is no contradiction between low historical total factor annual productivity gains and high expected generative artificial inte...