Wednesday, October 31, 2018

U.S. Consumers View "Choice" in New Ways

Ever since the advent of satellite-delivered programming, choice has been the core value linear video subscriptions have offered. But value now has become an equally-big issue.

Some 90 percent of U.S. residents polled by Morning Consult say that the most important factor when deciding to subscribe to a TV or streaming service is cost.

Some 56 percent say cable TV is "unaffordable" and 47 percent say the same about satellite, while just 17 percent deem streaming unaffordable.

But the real issue is value. Those same respondents also say they object to paying for channels they do not watch, and prefer to buy only channels they actually watch. On the other hand, consumers also say they value services with quantity and quality of shows.




So “choice” has a new meaning. Choice once meant having scores to hundreds of programming choices, not three broadcast TV stations. Increasingly, choice now means “paying only for what I choose to watch.”

Where the traditional maxim has been “I want what I want, when I want it,” the new mantra might be “I want only what I want, when I want it.”



source: Morning Consult

No comments:

AI Impact on Data Centers

source: PTC