Saturday, June 12, 2010

iPad Internet Usage Patterns Compared to Smartphone and PC

Normalizing Internet appliance behavior by setting Apple iPhone usage as the baseline, you can see pretty clearly that smartphone web behavior is distinct from PC usage.

So far, iPad usage (page views) is roughly twice what iPhone usage typically is, but less than what people tend to do on either Windows or Macintosh PCs.

Page views aren't the same thing as "bandwidth consumed," but you can see the pattern: desktop usage is heavier than smartphone patterns.

One suspects today's PC dongle user has a usage pattern more similar to an iPad user than a desktop user. Most of us probably think page view and bandwidth usage will intensify over time on every platform, but that the disparity between PC desktop and "phone" behavior will remain.

There likely are some people who view more web pages on their phones than on their desktops. Generally speaking, though, heavier use occurs on a PC, while smartphone usage is much lower, volume-wise.

2 comments:

Shayla said...

I don't know much about half what you said although no doubt it's interesting to those that do understand it. I just know that I view web pages on my phone when and if I need info and don't have a PC to hand. I don't find browsing on a phone a pleasure as I do on a PC which I will do simply as entertainment some times.

Gary Kim said...

I think you totally understand it, despite your modesty. I think that's what the Morgan Stanley suggests. We are not likely to do as much with our phones as we do with our PCs.

I browse on a phone when I have to. If I have my netbook or a PC available, I don't bother with the phone.

CIOs Believe AI Investments Won't Generate ROI for 2 to 3 Years

According to Lenovo's third annual study of global CIOs surveyed 750 leaders across 10 global markets, CIOs do not expect to see clear a...