Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Acer Launching Android 3.0 Tablets in 5, 7, and 10-inch Form Factors

Acer appears to readying Android-powered tablets in 5-inch, 7-inch, and 10-inch screen sizes. The 5-inch version is aimed at the same niche area as the Dell Streak. The largest version obviously will compete with the iPad.

The interesting developments to watch are how popular each of the form factors turns out to be. To the extent that a tablet is primarily a content consumption device, the issue then becomes which form factor is deemed most useful.

Personally, I find the 10-inch form factor unwieldy, for that purpose. On the other hand, a 4.5-inch screen often strikes me as a bit too small, though that isn't the only consideration.

Overall size, weight and battery life are important considerations as well. At the moment, I'd say the big issues are battery life and size. About seven inches seems to me the best compromise between extended battery life and screen size. Any bigger and I don't want to carry it routinely. Any smaller and I'll just use my Evo.

No comments:

CIOs Believe AI Investments Won't Generate ROI for 2 to 3 Years

According to Lenovo's third annual study of global CIOs surveyed 750 leaders across 10 global markets, CIOs do not expect to see clear a...